Saturday, March 10, 2007

Future Hall of Famer?

From Slam Sports - Canada's home for sports.

---Jeremy Roenick is trying to set the record straight after his untimely whining before the deadline. "I love playing for Wayne (Gretzky)," he told Phoenix reporters. "The guy's an icon. I respect him immensely. You may not see that by some of the stuff that I say, but I've always been a complainer and that's not going to change."...

what role model to have in dressing room, a real model of what not to do or say

3 comments:

ROBOTIMMS said...

I wouldn't say all that. I loved having him on the Flyers, he was an exciting player to watch and a great guy to have on the team. He's really a pretty classy guy...he just likes the sound of his own voice is all. I think he's also sore about aging and has yet to realize that his best years are long gone. Another casualty of the Lock-out and the "new" NHL.

Rob said...

"You see this quarter? It used to be a nickel. The glory years are behind you (Jeremy)."

Rob said...

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.

I don't question his talent. Just his attitude. Everyone loves to be on a winning team, and I'm sure it can be frustrating to be the skilled veteran on a rebuilding squad.

But why cry to the press before, and after the deadline about wanting to be traded? Take that conversation to Gretzky and Co.
Plus, even in the newer and improved (ahem) NHL, where rent-a-player tactics are employed even more than ever, I wonder how many GMs would have wanted him? and his salary? and his soundbites? and of course Gretz isn't going to just give him away.

I agree with you about his coming to terms with aging. The newer, faster NHL would have suited him better say 10 years ago.