Sunday, August 31, 2008

Chapter 3 - Getting to Know You

So, we've purchased the car, transfered the tags and called the insurance company to add it to our policy. Now, its time to figure out where to put the essentials: sunglasses, sunscreen, first-aid kit, anti-bacterial hand sanitizer, etc.


On to the tunes. Time to set the FM pre-sets, AM pre-sets, and load in the CDs... this is a little bitter sweet, this is the first car I've had that came with a CD player, 6-disc in dash actually, no need for a Discman and an adapter, which is way cool right... I've gotten a chance to rifle through my discs and pick some that I haven't listened to in quite some time...

But, now I don't have any way of enjoying my old cassettes. Sure I have a home stereo with a cassette deck, but honestly, it hasn't been played in over a year... and I have a ghetto blaster on a shelf at work, but to turn around and swap cassettes while working, that just doesn't happen. Not to mention the sound quality... the crystal clear digital sound on CD is far superior to that of analog... which has always been a nice theory, except that it has always been too crystal clear, too stunningly perfect... to the point where it sounds too artificial.

I kinda like tape hiss, its like an old blanket on an old couch, it may not be perfect, pretty or clean, but its cozy, warm, and comfortable and I like having it around.

But, on the plus side... this car came with the stereo and AC controls on the steering wheel... I never thought that I would like that feature, but I really do... to the point where I have trouble finding the matching controls on the dash.

stay tuned...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

you can rip tapes to MP3; or burn them to a CD without compression. you get all the hiss and dullness. I did the same thing with a Christmas LP that was a favorite of the Sears family.