Sunday, December 03, 2006

Hey, You Guys!!

Believe it or not, this is another post about PBS. The bane of my childhood (when we only had channels 2 through 13), now a refuge of quality in a sea of mediocrity, awash in a zillion ho-hum channels.

Naturally it is fundraiser time on PBS (when isn't it?), you know, when the best shows are on in shorts segments, surrounded by lengthy pleas for financial assistance. But yesterday, it was worth keeping in the "last channel" button of my remote. You know, watch something else while they are in studio with the phones, and flip back in hopes that they are back to the show.

Suspense killing you yet? Home of Fargo North, Decoder... and everyone's favorite literary soul man Easy Reader.... The Electric Company.

I had forgotten how cool that show was for being a spin-off of Sesame Street, and educational and being on PBS. It was a 'best of' clip show, but I had forgotten how great it really was. In addition to placing nearly a dozen obscure things that have existed in my brain, but not remembering where from, well WOW mystery solved.

As a parent I can completely see the educational benefits of the show. Even though, I too Love to Learn (after all, Education is Boss!!) As a kid, I guess I picked up some of the educational stuff through osmosis, while watching the sketches for Spiderman, Grover, Cosby, and the aforementioned Easy Reader. Of course, I know that I didn't learn everything... I still have a great appreciation for a well placed run-on sentence, or two, or even three, from time to time, like now, and perhaps tomorrow, and maybe the next day.

Where was I? Oh, that's right, the Electric Company. It is out on DVD, and it is definately worth a look. Those of us who are parents, it is a no brainer to go out and buy it for ourselves, ahem, I mean our kids.

"T-I-O-N... -tion, -tion, -tion"

2 comments:

ROBOTIMMS said...

No way! T and I were just talking about The Electric Company the other day! I even said that I was surprised that it hadn't been released in some way yet. Remember Book,Look, and Listen? How about Hodge-Podge-Lodge?

The Bass Player's Wife said...

The "Hey You Guys!" used to scare me when I was small. The Electric Company was, for me, naptime between Sesame Street and The Great Space Coaster.